Located at around 7,500 feet, Ooty, also known as Udhagamandalam, is known for its picturesque landscape, tea plantations, and pleasant weather.
Ooty is also a popular destination all year round for couples. The city’s weather remains pleasant during summer (April to June). Moreover, the temperature here can reach an average of 28 deg Celsius.
Your trip to Ooty will approximately require 3 to 5 days to discover the best spots if you want to explore the city with your partner.
During the monsoon (July runs to September), couples can experience Ooty with lush greenery and rain drizzles. If you love sharing and posting photos on social media, winter is another ideal time to visit Ooty.
Then, why delay? Come and explore some of the best romantic places to visit in Ooty for couples.
Disclosure: This is a sponsored post; the information presented below is personal and experience-based. Please contact Misfit Wanderers if you find any issues.
1. Ooty Lake
Did you know that Ooty Lake is an artificial lake?
Created by damming the water of the mountain streams, it is listed as one of the best places to visit in Ooty for couples.
The lake is completely engulfed by lush greenery with forests of Eucalyptus all around it. Additionally, if you are interested in birding, you can watch birds that nest along the banks of the lake.
You can also take a boat ride with your loved one on the crystal clear lake. You can choose anything from motorboats and paddle boats to rowboats.
Whatever you choose, there’s nothing more romantic than taking a sunset boating cruise with your beloved by your side.
But wait, there’s more! You can also enjoy fishing while cruising leisurely on the lake.
Things To Do At Ooty Lake
- 30-minute boat journey to take in the lush greenery and distant views of the hills.
- Enjoy your Nilgiri Mountain backdrop in your Instagram photos.
- You can ride away the day’s stress and enjoy the evening cycling on the lake.
- Enjoy shopping by purchasing eucalyptus oils and shawls in the lake’s shops.
- Enjoy snacks along the shores of the lakes. This is followed by a trip to an amusement park beside the lake.
2. Catherine Falls
If you can listen to the sound of a double cascading waterfall, you’ve reached Ooty’s Kotagiri district. Here, it is an ideal destination for couples needing rejuvenation from their fast-paced lives.
A lush green tea plantation surrounds this beauty which is Catherine Falls. Mix the soothing sound of fresh mountain air in it, and we have an ideal getaway for couples.
The waterfall is situated in the Nilgiri Mountains and gives you the most amazing experience combined with the surroundings’ view.
In Catherine Falls, water cascades down from an average height of 250 feet, creating a natural pool on the ground.
It can be an exhilarating experience for couples to capture this memory of water gushing over the ground in their camera. We’d highly recommend taking a quick trek (about 1 km) afterward.
Things To Do At Catherine Falls
- Enjoy the splendor of the tea estates – the foundation camp to get to the waterfalls.
- Take a stroll for an easy 1-kilometer (approx.) trek to get to the falls.
- Soak the stunning views from the lush and green mountain ranges.
- Capture stunning landscapes, flora, and fauna.
- Indulge in birdwatching and spot many beautiful birds.
- Be in the moment and enjoy the serenity and feel relaxed.
3. Avalanche Lake
This is another beautiful lake located in Ooty that is regarded as one of the top places to visit in Ooty with your partner.
Avalanche Lake was created naturally due to a landslide (hence the name Avalanche). It is a part of the Nilgiri Biosphere Reserve.
If you are a nature lover, you are in for a treat. Here, you can observe diverse species of flowers best seen after the post-monsoon winter.
The lake is in the forest and can only be reached by bus or jeep safari. It is completely drenched in greenery from all four sides.
Couples can enjoy a cruise on the lake during a boating trip to take in the sunset with their beloved ones.
Things To Do At Avalanche Lake
- Enjoy the view of the mountains nestled in the shola forest.
- Fulfill your dreams of fishing with trout following the monsoon.
- You can spend a night under the stars on an excursion to camp on the banks of the lake.
- Explore the shola forest for nature walks with an organized excursion.
- Have fun on the journey of a jeep or bus safari.
4. Doddabetta Peak
Are you in for a ride of adventure with your beloved partner? Then a 10km (approx.) trek to Doddabetta Peak is your answer. Again an important place to visit in Ooty.
It is one of the highest summits in South India, with an elevation of 8,650 feet (approx.). A trek to the Doddabetta Peak rewards you with a breathtaking vantage point.
You can take in the stunning views across the Ooty from the peak. The slopes of this area are surrounded by thick shola forests, which adds to the excitement of the hike.
While you’re here, you’ll feel cobalt clouds wrapping around your body! Should you or your partner be avid hikers and mountain biking, plan the trip to Doddabetta Peak.
So, as a bonus, ensure to go on a romantic hiking adventure up to Doddabetta Peak and get to see the abundant rhododendron vegetation.
Things To Do At Doddabetta Peak
- See The Ooty cityscape from the Telescope House at the summit.
- Have a snack at the top while admiring the view of the city.
- Enjoy the excitement of walking through the fluffy clouds and emerald greenery.
- Capture the beauty of the surrounding hills and valleys.
- Learn about the culture of the local tribes at the Tribal Research Centre.
Smart Suggestion: Top Romantic Destinations for Your Munnar Honeymoon
5. Emerald Lake
If you want to spend time with your partner by a lake that isn’t too crowded, then Emerald Lake is the one for you. The lake is pristine and surrounded by beautiful tea plantations.
It is a peaceful setting in Emerald Lake, which awakens the romantic itch in couples. Further, sunset trips to the lake are extremely popular.
In this area, endangered or rare birds thrive post-monsoon and during winter, which makes it a paradise for birdwatchers.
If you’re looking to spend the romance of your life in the middle of nature, include Emerald Lake in your schedule while planning places to visit in Ooty.
Things To Do At Emerald Lake
- Ensure you get the best photos of beautiful greenery and blue waters.
- Find out how tea is made in the tea gardens around Emerald Lake.
- Go home following the purchase of tea leaves.
- Indulge in fishing and try your luck in catching some fish.
- Rent a boat and enjoy a leisurely ride on the tranquil waters.
6. Rose Garden
True to its name, this place acts as a catalyst and can exponentially increase the oxytocin (the love hormone) within you!
Rose Garden is situated in the hills of Eik and houses varieties of roses under one roof. It is split into five terraces and contains the rarest roses, like miniature roses, a red rose, and a tea hybrid.
If you want to experience the finest and the sweetest moments with your partner, a glimpse of the unique roses must be on your places to visit in Ooty’s schedule.
Furthermore, Rose Garden is a well-known photography destination where you can showcase your photography abilities.
Imagine having a romantic chat with your loved ones here in the backdrop of roses – isn’t it thrilling?
Things to Do At Rose Garden
- Take a camera that is good for taking pictures of the various varieties of roses.
- Admire the flowers, including roses, daffodils, pansies, and marigolds.
- Sit on the benches, read a book, or simply relax and enjoy the serenity.
- Enjoy cultural programs, including dance and music performances.
7. Pykara Falls And Lake
If you like to spend an evening in peace with your loved one, you can spend your time in the forest home around Pykara Falls and the Lake.
Lush green shola trees surround the waterfall. You can enjoy the peace and tranquility of the green shola forests and take in the majestic pine trees as the backdrop.
The pristine lake rises from Mukurthi Peak before transforming into stunning waterfalls, creating Pykara Lake.
You can add a touch of adventure during your romantic excursion to Ooty, as the path to the fall includes simple hiking.
If you like to trek through the fall without trekking, you can also hire a battery vehicle that will allow you to enjoy the cascading waterfalls.
Things to Do At Pykara Falls And Lake
- You can enjoy boating on the clear waters for between 15 and 30 minutes.
- Ideal spot for a picnic with family and friends.
- You can hear the soothing chirpings of the birds in migration.
- Enjoy a relaxing time at the club for boaters.
Ooty is a romantic and picturesque destination offering various activities for couples.
Ooty honeymoon package covers sightseeing, accommodations, transportation, and roaming to many other places.
From scenic drives to serene lakes and waterfalls, Ooty has something for every kind of couple. Additionally, couples can indulge in tea tasting, explore the local markets, and enjoy a leisurely walk in the tea plantations.
With its charming ambiance and natural beauty, Ooty is a perfect getaway for couples looking to spend quality time together amidst the lap of nature.
An appeal: Please do not throw litter around. Use a dustbin and if you can’t find one, take the trash with you and throw it when you find one. Your small steps like this one can make the world clean and green.